Here is some of what we are doing right now:
- The infrastructure subcommittee is reviewing cycling routes proposed in the draft Transportation Study; providing recommendations on priority cycling routes; and providing input on active transportation infrastructure in upcoming road projects.
- The policy subcommittee is providing input on the draft Transportation Study.
- The Transit subcommittee is providing input on improvements to transit.
- Members are collecting ideas for educational campaigns, and resources on sustainable mobility.
Here are some of the accomplishments from the last term of SMAP:
- Stroller policy – recommending and supporting a policy that allows caregivers to keep their children in their stroller on the bus
- Bike racks: an inventory of accessible and useable bicycle racks; research on best bike racks (installed at TDS)
- Recommending and supporting the implementation of reduced speed limits around primary and secondary schools (speed limits are now 40km/hr in designated school areas on all residential and collector roads)
- Education campaigns including safe cycling and walking messages; bus pass tax credits; promoting cycling, walking, and transit as a healthy mode of travel; improvements to transit website; commuter challenge.
- Advocating for a budget line for cycling infrastructure in the municipal budget.